Steven K. Stone Building
Tour Stop 25
Steven K. Stone BuildingThis side of the street has also had a rough life. It initially consisted of several small one and two-story frame buildings, all of which were burned in 1862. These were replaced by more one and two-story wooden buildings, only to have the 1880 tornado pretty much wipe out the entire block.
In 1872 the corner on the left was the site of a 1- story frame building that was the J.T. Ham news depot, stationary store and US Post Office. Stephen K. Stone built the building you see today in 1894 and it once had the name "Stone" on a metal pediment. The building has housed the C.C. Conner Grocery Store, the Fair Store, Goff Brothers Grocery, Coleman's Shoe store and Davison's Shoe store. Note the intricate brick detailing on the window lintels.
The next five 2-story buildings are no more, and were demolished in the early 1970's. Some of the businesses that were located here were Hilton Brothers Furniture, Cy Carney's Appliance Store, Wantuck's Clothing Store, Laner Shoes, Waffle House, W.G. Shipley Baking Company, People's Café, Budd Post & Hardware and The New York Store. Several of these buildings also had decorative metal pediments like the one on the Mrs. Young Building.
This is also the site of the first African-American business on the Square – the Buck Horn Restaurant, run by Nathan Dickson in the early 1880's. 10 cent lunches and 50 cent dinners.
Photo Courtesy of: Gene Clark, Photographer. Courtesy Shiloh Museum of Ozark History / Gene & Nita Clark Collection (S-92-223-48)
History provided by: Gary Coover, Coover Consultants