Washington County Courthouse
Tour Stop 19
Washington County CourthouseAt the end of the street is one of the favorite postcard views of Fayetteville, featuring the Washington County Courthouse completed in 1905. Designed by Little Rock architect Charles L. Thompson, it replaced the 1869 Courthouse that had been on the Square. The contractor was George W. Donaghey who built many of the buildings on the University of Arkansas campus, and who became governor of Arkansas in 1909.
For its centennial it was restored by the county back to its original glory. The street between here and there was none too glorious in the olden days. It was called "Smoky Row" as early as 1871, presum- ably for all the bars and smokers, and was often the scene of fistfights and shootings.
Photo Courtesy of: Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
History provided by: Gary Coover, Coover Consultants