Eason Building / First Federal Savings
Tour Stop 13
Eason Building / First Federal SavingsThe northwest corner of the square originally consisted of one and two story wooden store buildings that contained a restaurant, cobbler shop, confectionary and butcher shop. But that all changed dramatically in late 1888 due to one of Fayetteville's most prominent citizens – Lafayette Gregg.
Born in 1825, Lafayette Gregg was a member of one of the pioneering families in northwest Arkansas and was involved in nearly every major historical event in Arkansas history that happened during his lifetime. He was a lawyer, state representative, Civil War veteran, banker and Arkansas Supreme Court Justice, and was instrumental in getting the Arkansas Industrial University (now called the University of Arkansas) located in Fayetteville in 1871. In 1889 he hired a Chicago architect to build this building for his new Bank of Fayetteville and for his law office.
Architect Warren Segraves officed in this building for twenty years. We'll see several of Segraves's buildings on our tour today. In 1961 he was hired to cover up the building with a golden latticework in an effort to modernize it. That was removed in 1984 and the building was restored back to its original condition and placed on the National Register.
Photo Courtesy of: Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
History provided by: Gary Coover, Coover Consultants