Campbell Bell Building
Tour Stop 3
Campbell Bell BuildingThe recent home of KNWA television station for many years, this was the Campbell-Bell clothing and dry goods store for over 70 years. The original building underneath the newer façade dates to 1895.
It replaced several one and two story wooden buildings that housed a harness shop, tin shop, grocery, seed store, restaurant, and barber shop. The right hand side of the façade also incorporates a brick building built in 1924. It replaced a previous building that contained a hardware store and later Hansard's Grocery store. At one time there was a cigar factory on the 2nd floor. They made many kinds of cigars, including one named the "Belle of Fayetteville". The newer façade was added by local architect Warren Segraves in 1964. The second floor was remodeled into luxury condominiums in 2000. Although it was fun to walk by and see the TV studios at work, and hear their news and weather reports broadcast from the sidewalk out front, the first floor has recently been converted back into retail, specializing in local boutique stores.
Photo Courtesy of: Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
History provided by: Gary Coover, Coover Consultants